Connect with us

Cars

2015 Mustang “Almost A Body Double For Ford EVOS Concept”

Published

on

According to a recent report from the Wall Street Journal, there are some big changes in store for the 2015 Ford Mustang. It’s rumored that Ford will abandon the current, fifth-generation model’s retro-styling in favor of a far more modern design.

According to the WSJ, people who have seen the 2015 Mustang said “it is almost a body double for the EVOS concept“, a design study with four-gullwing style doors that was first seen at last year’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

The rational behind this decision? A shrinking numbers of ‘baby boomers’ who were fond of the current version’s retro-looks, something that is reflected in the car’s sales, which have dropped from 166,530 in 2006 to 70,438 last year.

Instead, Ford wants the next Mustang to appeal to Generation Y, or those born between 1980 and 1999 and who are about 80-million strong.

I have a number of problems with this strategy:

• Using 2006-2011 sales metrics is flawed, since it doesn’t really account for the severe downturn in the economy, not to mention rising gas prices.
  • Generation Y consumers don’t really care about the Mustang.. Their priorities are very different from the rest of us, preferring to drive a Focus over a Mustang.
  • You risk alienating your core audience in the process.

Ford almost made the same mistake back in the early 90s, when they wanted to replace the Mustang with the front-wheel drive Ford Probe. (Remember that car?) Thankfully, they decided to move forward with the Mustang SN-95 platform in 1994, with fantastic results!

It’s frustrating to hear things like this, becuase I feel like Ford finally got it right with the 2012-13 Mustang. So much so that I’m seriously considering buying one!

If it were up to me, I’d continue to evolve the current styling, but nothing too radical. It’s a given that a number of EcoBoost engines will be offered with the new Mustang, but they need to continue offering the 5.0L engine as well. Ditch that tired retro interior, and go with something modern and stylish, complete with the latest and greatest techology that Ford has to offer.

As for the EVOS Concept, they knocked it out of the park. So why not bring it to market under it’s own model?

Food for thought.

Sujeet Patel is the founder of Guys Gab, and one of the biggest automotive enthusiast you'll ever meet. He's been fortunate enough to turn his passion for cars into a full-time job. Like they say, "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life."

Continue Reading
26 Comments

26 Comments

1. AngryMonkey

April 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I am 55 yoa and happily driving the 3rd Mustang i have owned..
    All bought new and all driven with enthusiasm, but well taken care of..
    If Ford goes thru with the Evos as a possible Mustang replacement they’ve
    lost me as a customer for good.. The Evos DOES NOT SAY Mustang..!
    No matter how many badges or decals they put on it that ‘ say ‘ Mustang,
    it’ll never be one.. Only a compromise..

• shane

July 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I full heartedly agree, The EVOS would make a cool car for itself but a mustang it is not! I am 29 and love my 93 5.0 GT.

2. Charles

April 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Maybe someone at Ford should have done some research before redirecting all their effort towards the Gen Y’ers:

As recently as 1998, 64.4% of potential drivers ages 19 and younger had drivers licenses, according to the Federal Highway Administration. As of 2008, that amount had dropped to 46.3%. Additionally, 46% of drivers aged 18 to 24 report that they would choose Internet access over owning a car, according to research firm Gartner. People are also waiting longer to get their licenses. According to the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute, in 1983 one-third of all licensed drivers in U.S. were under 30. Today, only 22% of drivers are under 30.

3. AngryMonkey

April 22, 2012 at 7:18 pm

As usual the ‘ older ‘.. Never mind.. In this day and age, it
    does no good.. The big auto companies will do what they want
    and the consumer has to make take it on the chin.. No matter the
    age..

4. Dee Repoman

April 22, 2012 at 9:52 pm

If Ford goes ahead with this concept as a replacement for the current Mustang, they’d better be prepared with the shi$%orm that is sure to come. They tried something like this before, bringing the world the Ford Probe, which was about as popular as a case of malaria. With the Camaro already outselling the current Mustang in most markets, launching this thing is sure to guarantee the “bowtie boys” continued bragging rights. Ford has the engines, now it needs the sheetmetal.

• shane

July 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I agree the powerplants are superior to chevy’s! A smaller more refined Mustang with or without an IRS would most likely destroy a camaro! Ford needs to keep going the way they are with the mustang (maybe include some of what they’re doing on the cobra jet program) and making improvements to the mustang suspension and powertrain, especially the engine! I think a 500HP 5.0 would be an amazing camaro killing powerplant. I am 29 and have always loved mustangs and am especially fond of 5.0’s seeing my dads 83 GT sealed that deal, and his 88 5.0 LX only made it concrete. My 93 GT may need a little work but i would never trade it for an EVOS wearing mustang badging. The new 5.0 engine is one of the best things to happen to the mustang in the past 2-3 decades. The day they stop offering a mustang with a V-8 and rear drive is the day i take my business else where!

• Sujeet

July 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I completely agree with you Shane.. I recently got to do a track day in the new 2013 Boss 302, and it was absolutely AMAZING! These cars are so capable, they really don’t even need 500HP.

Right now, we’ve got a 2013 Mustang GT loaner, which is pretty bad-ass in it’s own right.. There are few cars that can leave me with a permanent grin on my face, but this is one of ’em!

• Paul

July 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Well said.

5. Pingback: Repos Links of the Day | Repo's Delight

6. Francesco

April 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

I haven’t liked the FORD Mustang since 1993.

• Sujeet

April 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

While I’m also a big fan of the FOX bodies, a redesign was LONG overdue – That platform ran from 1978–1993!

I thought the 4th generation Mustangs were great, all they needed was some extra HP! As for the New Edge styling they applied to the 1999-2004 models, let’s just try and look past that mistake.. 🙂

Design-wise, it seems like they got back on track with the 5th generation Mustangs, but things really clicked for me with the 2010 models.. Subtle changes, but just enough to make it really come together.

7. Steve

April 24, 2012 at 8:00 am

As an owner of a 2010 ShelbyGT500, the current cars are just great. If Ford goes with this car, in a similar form, as the next Mustang, they will definately lose tons of Mustang buyers. I don’t give a crap about generation Y, what the heck do they know about a pony car that has stood the test of time. They know Civics, Eclips’ and the like. When Ford wanted to introduce a ‘New’ Mustang in 1989 and the word got out that it was front wheel drive and much smaller, Ford got 100000 letters saying that the public would not buy it. Ford then called it Probe. The public can turn this around. Let’s see what they come up with, then we’ll let Ford know what we think of thier new Mustang. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!!! DON’T SCREW THIS UP FORD!!!!!

• shane

July 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I don’t think i could have said it better myself, I was born in 83 so i may not be a generation X er but I don’t care about gas mileage when i geet behind the wheel of my mustang! if i want good mileage i will drive my V-6 fusion, never be caught dead in a focus, and cannot stand 4 cylinders! Mustang fans want one thing, a good looking car that is a blast to drive, sounds great, and oh yeah makes great power and eats camaros for lunch!

8. Stang guy

April 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

The mustang will officially be dead after 50 years of production with this joke of a car they are calling the 2015 Mustang.

9. Tim

April 28, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I’m going to come at this from the opposite side.

I like the performance per dollar that the current Mustang provides, but I have never been a fan of the current styling. I wasn’t around in the 60’s and 70’s, and I have no nostalgic feelings for it like I understand many posting here do.

If it looks like that picture of the Evos in 2015 – which in my opinion is a very good looking car – my ’11 JGC will be paid off by then, and there is a very good chance I’ll buy one.

10. Jeff

May 1, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Ford will not ruin the 50th anniversary mustang with the evos concept. As far as the gen Y stereotype, are you that ignorant? I’m 30, born in 1981, and have a 2005 mustang in my collection, in my opinion the best “retro” design or current and most likely the best mustang design to date. The evos, modern in design, has no classic mustang attributes, which ford has promised the faithful even though they are scraping the retro theme. All we have is here-say, expect similar design attributes, but something far different than the evos and more representative of American muscle.

• shane

July 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Sir you are hopefully right, and in my opinion the only reason current mustang sales are low is because they are rather pricey, i remember days when a guy in his low-mid 20’s could buy a Mustang GT and not have to kill himself to pay for it! My suggestion keep the mustang a mustang, by all means make some changes however try lowering the price and see what happens.

11. Ben

May 2, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I know about the letters in 1989… I wrote one! And I have owned six Mustangs – three classics, two SN95s and my current 07 GT – plus I’m the President of an MCA affiliated Mustang club, and worked at the Rouge Assembly plant complex when the Mustangs were still built there. What we have is reports from a lot of sources that report the Evos concept is indeed the basis for the next gen Stang. That said, I trust the design and engineering teams… Dave Pericak and the rest have given us great cars, better every year, and they DO need to update the next generation of cars or the Mustang will stagnate. They can do plenty to the look of the car, blending the current retro style while adapting a new chassis, independent rear suspension, new technology – compare the tech on the 2013 car with 2005… it’s amazing what is available on cars now. Give Ford and the new car a chance.

Oh, and to the author of the article? Ford can’t survive on “seriously considering buying”…. Put your money where your mouth is – you won’t regret it.

12. Rod

May 15, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Did they not learn from the 70’s mustang II..Enough said

13. rudy

June 16, 2012 at 12:51 am

If WSJ said the saw the 2015 Mustang, they are flat-out liars. The design has not been finalized, there are no renderings and no models.

Oh, I forgot. WSJ is now a stable mate to fox news. Of course their liars

14. John wade

September 20, 2012 at 4:45 am

In my opinion The best looking mustangs were from 1965-73 then it was crap , the 2nd gen ,fox body and new edge were straight up FUGLY. And no matter what any1 says ,,sex sells… In 2005 mustang came back looking real good and the latest gen is beautiful….

But At this point in time I would rather buy a camaro than a mustang ..

Why,, simple ,,cuz the camaro looks better to me AND Drops More Panties.. Period…The performance is basically the same between them anyway. Unless ur goin all out on a track to determine which is better.and no1 does that unless there rich…Me Im 24 ,,i dont want a futuristic design with gullwing doors .i want a muscle car,, i dont buy 1 cuz i cant afford a new car not cuz im not interested or its irrelevant or cuz the styling doesnt tickle my pickle.young consumers buy cheap, if parts were cheaper, gas and insurance ,,younger f*ckers would buy them..
    ..every young man wants a sexy car.

Maybe this evos design isnt the way to go but As far as a redesign to the body,,,mustang needs one badly
    Irs good idea too

15. Sujeet

October 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Well, if we’re to believe the story on Jalopnik, there may be hope for us yet!

Check it out:

16. Thomas Strome

October 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

EVO, not a bad design but it also give an aerodynamic feel. Plus the sun roof also add a good design to the seamless body design of the car.

17. MICHAEL

October 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm

The ford evos… great looking car pure beautiful cool design. Is it a mustang? NO!… If I were the CEO of Ford I would produce the evos as the evos… put a huge engine in her have it our answer to the Dodge viper and the Chevy corvette. 50th anniversary mustang? make a huge 7.0L v8 engine bring back the mach 1 428 make the car retro… more mean … face it who in the world says im going to buy a mustang because i care about the environment and want to save gas? the less gas mileage i get the happier i am =]

18. MICHAEL

October 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

also coming from a shelby owner and is 18 so im young… i like muscle cars…. no european crap styling.. its nice but na lol

19. Sujeet Patel

December 5, 2013 at 11:36 am

Well guys, the day is finally here! Ford has unveiled the 2015 Ford Mustang, and you can see it here:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.

Cars

On Track With The 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

Published

on

2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

There’s no question about it, the mid-cycle refresh that the 2018 Ford Mustang received was a total game-changer, with the iconic pony car getting a host of upgrades in the styling, power, and handling departments, making the world’s best-selling sports car even better than before.

With 460 horsepower on tap, a 0-60-mph time of under four seconds (with the new 10-speed automatic transmission, which shifts lightning-quick), and the optional MagneRide active suspension system, this new Mustang performs like no other pony car before it, save for the track-ready Ford Mustang Shelby GT350.

But the passionate Mustang team couldn’t leave well enough alone, curious to see just how far they could push the performance of the new ‘Stang, focused on improving the car’s handling capabilities. To achieve this, they started by adding an aggressive front splitter (inspired by the Boss 302 Laguna Seca Mustang) and rear spoiler to deliver more downforce and gives the car more grip in the corners.

2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

From there, they added a set of 305/30R19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (1.5 inches wider than the wheels on Performance Pack Level 1) wrapped around 19×10.5-inch front and 19×11-inch rear wheels. These sticky tires provide a firmer grip and work with the retuned chassis to put the car more than a half-inch closer to the ground.

Custom tuned MagneRide dampers and quicker steering calibration provide better response. Other improvements over the Mustang Performance Pack Level 1 include a 67% stiffer rear stabilizer bar, a 12% stiffer front stabilizer bar, 20% stiffer front springs and rear springs that are 13% stiffer, all of which contribute to a more stable ride around corners with less body roll.

The results of their skunkworks efforts? The 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2, a $6,500 package for the Mustang GT that transforms the already-capable pony car into a true sports car, one that you can take to the track on the weekends.

2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

To prove that point, Ford invited us up to Monticello Motor Club for a track day with the Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2, and I was giddy with excitement, as this would be the perfect setting to showcase what this car could really do, as this challenging track will really highlight a car’s strengths and weaknesses. This was going to be a fun one!

The only problem? Rain. 🌧

Yes, Mother Nature decided to rain on our parade… literally, cutting short our time with the Performance Pack 2. Still, we managed to get in one session on the track (one warm-up lap, two hot laps, and one cool down lap) before the rain started coming down. I hoped that we’d be able to continue driving in the rain (at a slower pace), but unfortunately the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are not suitable for rain the least, with very little tread to speak of.

2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

While I would have loved more time to really explore the Mustang PP2’s capabilities, from my brief time behind the wheel, I can tell you that this car felt right at home on the track, ripping through the course with surgical precision, with nary a squeal from those meaty tires, the Cup 2’s keeping the car glued to the road.

On the road, the Mustang was surprisingly comfortable, and one could realistically make this their daily driver (assuming they live somewhere where it doesn’t rain). The only issue is that those massive 305s up front lead to some tramlining on less than perfect roads. Still, it is a small price to pay for the handling benefits they provide on the track and in the twisties.

2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

Mustang chief engineer Carl Widdmann says it best: “We wanted to do a car that maximized the ability to put the power down, to create a car that you’d love driving up through, say, the canyons around L.A. It’s not the ultimate track Mustang, it bridges the gap between the Performance Pack and the track-ready GT350.”

And that’s really the best way to describe it. Ford has built a number of different Mustang GT variants (base GT, PP1, PP2, Bullitt), all with different customers in mind. For most folks, the Mustang GT Performance Pack 2 is overkill. But if you’re an enthusiast like me who plans on driving your car hard, I think this $6,500 package is a no-brainer.

Game on, Camaro SS 1LE.

2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2

Continue Reading

Cars

Review: 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T

Published

on

2018 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

In general, the midsize sedan world is about as sexy as a Billy Bass with Alexa’s voice. Where supercars with curvy looks get all the credit for automotive sexiness, though, midsize sedans actually do the work of being realistic. The good news is that being pragmatic and going for the 2018 Hyundai Sonata doesn’t mean you have to settle for frumpiness, as this is a really sleek-looking sedan.

For the 2018 model year, Hyundai didn’t do much to change the already well-done Sonata. A few tweaks to the interior design, some added suave to the exterior, and a lot of extra safety features make up most of the changes for this model year. The 2018 Sonata is otherwise the top-shelf sedan it’s been for some time.

From the outside, curb appeal is eyebrow-lifting with the 2018 Hyundai Sonata. The signature Hyundai diamond-shaped grille is flanked by a curved, beautifully sculpted hood and long, narrow LED headlights. Tapered fenders and a sporty lower intake and aero baffle are set off by large intake/fog lamp bezels. The bodywork on the Sonata features a strong upper beltline groove and edge, a well-defined and curved running board cut below, and an aggressively sporty roofline and fastback rear end. Noticeably on this new Sonata, the deck lid has an integrated spoiler replacing the add-on aero from before.

2018 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

The rear wheels of the 2018 Hyundai Sonata are pushed to the corners’ edge while the front wheels feature some overhang ahead that promises smooth handling. Ground clearance is a sporty straight line that matches the beltline above.

This is a great look for the 2018 Sonata and it’s really set apart in the crowded midsize market. Once inside the Sonata, we found, the exterior’s beauty continues with intelligent and well-done interior design.

A new three-spoke steering wheel is fitted to the Sonata to emphasize a driver-centric feel for the cabin. The dashboard and center console have been reworked to make them less bulky and more modern. Seating is very comfortable with a lot of creature comforts available to add to that. The rear bench can seat three across and has excellent outboard positions with plenty of head and legroom despite the sloped roofline and smaller appearance of the rear doors.

2018 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

Many of the additions to the 2018 Hyundai Sonata are in the technologies found behind the beautiful design work. Updated suspension and handling mean better ride quality and more engagement at the wheel. Technologies now standard in the Sonata include advanced options like blind-spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert, and lane change assist.

The Sonata has a host of trim level options (seven in all). Three four-cylinder engines can be chosen from, each with either a six-, seven-, or eight-speed automatic transmission on offer. That’s a lot to choose from, sure, but it means that the Sonata can be tailored to meet needs without sacrificing looks and comfort.

The base model is the SE, followed by the SEL, the Sport, and the Limited. These four models are powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that outputs 184 horsepower to a six-speed automatic transmission. A much more interesting turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder (245 hp) and an eight-speed automatic transmission are found on the Sport 2.0T and Limited 2.0T trims. Finally, the Eco trim has its own 1.6-liter turbocharged four that outputs 178 horses into a dual-clutch, seven-speed automatic.

2018 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - Interior

Prices vary based on which trim level you choose, of course, but the base model’s price tag is lower than all but one of its competitors in the segment, and the Sonata comes with more standard equipment than almost all of the others. The Eco model is only $600 more than that, upgrading just the powertrain to improve fuel economy.

We drove the Limited 2.0T trim and would highly recommend the turbocharged two liter for its peppy drive quality, fast responses to the throttle, and smooth-shifting transmission. This combination brings a whole ‘nother level of sexiness to the 2018 Sonata and is well worth the extra money spent.

It is possible to have everything in one package and the 2018 Hyundai Sonata certainly does a good job of offering just about the whole shebang in one car.

Continue Reading

Luxury

The Rolls-Royce Cullinan Is The Most Luxurious SUV You’ve Ever Seen

Published

on

Rolls-Royce Cullinan SUV

After years of anticipation, Rolls-Royce finally took the wraps off its ultra-luxury SUV today in London, revealing to the world the Rolls-Royce Cullinan in all of its glory.

Now as you might imagine, the notion of a Rolls-Royce SUV caused quite a stir among purists, who believed that the world’s leading super-luxury brand should stick with cars. But according to Rolls-Royce, their customers were asking for a car that would allow them to “go everywhere in luxury, effortlessly and without compromise, conquering the most challenging terrain to enjoy life’s most enriching experiences, wherever they may be.”

With the super-luxury lifestyle evolving, so did Rolls-Royce, leading to the development of a vehicle that offers uncompromised luxury wherever they dare to venture. Cullinan is that car.

Rolls-Royce Cullinan SUV

The Rolls-Royce Cullinan, named for a diamond that’s part of the British crown jewels, follows in the footsteps of the Bentley Bentayga and Lamborghini Urus, offering up an ultra-luxe SUV that can satisfy the adventurous urges of their clients.

Under the hood, there’s a 6.75-liter twin-turbo V12 engine that delivers 563 horsepower and 627 lb-ft of torque to an all-new, all-wheel drive, all-wheel steer system. This engine has been reworked to make the Cullinan comfortable even while it’s off-roading.

A “Magic Carpet Ride” air suspension system keeps things civilized in the cabin when you’re off the beaten path, because you wouldn’t want a passenger to spill their glass of champagne.

Rolls-Royce Cullinan SUV interior

Naturally, being a Rolls-Royce, the interior is bespoke and fit for a king, with only the finest leathers and appointments. But perhaps the most interesting feature is the pair of jump seats that come out of the trunk, presumably so you can sit while falconing in the desert.

The 2019 Rolls-Royce Cullinan is expected to go on sale late this year, with a starting price of around $325,000. Of course, one you start adding bespoke features and customization options, that price could go north of half a million in a hurry.

What do you think of the Rolls-Royce Cullinan?

Continue Reading