The summer months and the warmer weather are coming to an end, which means it’s crunch time to get in the last of our outdoor runs, hikes and bike rides. Soon we’ll be forced to head back into the stuffy and intimidating gym with those who are far more experienced and in much better shape than us. The ‘rookie’ mentality in us makes us want to walk out the door before we even begin to workout.
Certified nutrition consultant and Hispanic weight loss celebrity Alejandro Chaban has provides 5 ways to overcome ‘Gymtimidation’ to ensure a positive workout experience. After achieving his own personal weight loss of losing 150 pounds and overcoming his “gymtimidation,” Alejandro knows first-hand the struggles of entering the gym as an overweight rookie.
- Problem – LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. You’re there and you have no idea how to use the machines or all of those weird balls. The only thing you see is all those expert people jumping from one machine to the next and you just stare at them with a confused look on your face without knowing where to start.
SOLUTION: Invest in one session with a personal trainer that can show you how to use the machines work and design a specific routine for you. Another option that’s cheaper is to go on You Tube and look for different video tutorials that show you how to work every muscle and even learn fun cardio routines to practice at home.
- Problem – COMPETITION. Getting to the gym the first few days and looking at the girl next to you and wanting to compete with her is a VERY bad idea. The only thing you’re going to do with this is feel bad if you can’t keep up with her.
SOLUTION: Don’t compare yourself to anybody. Your only competition is yourself. You don’t know the other girl’s story, what drives her and how long she’s been doing this.
- Problem – PUBLISH YOUR TRAINING. When we’re first starting we want EVERYONE to know what we’re doing and we share it on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and every other way we can think of. This causes us to spend more time on our phones than actually working out.
SOLUTION: Leave your phone in the locker or use it only to listen to music. Stop telling the world you’re going to work out and just WORK OUT! I’m guilty of taking a few selfies here and there but I try not to and always tell myself FOCUS ALEJANDRO! At the end of the day if you don’t work out you won’t have any results to share.
- Problem – WRONG CLOTHES. This doesn’t mean that you should get the most expensive and trendy clothes for the gym.
SOLUTION: It’s about having the right underwear, pants, shoes and socks. This is important for you to feel comfortable, confident and to avoid injuries. I used to go to the gym with those huge heavy cotton shirts that were always 3 sizes bigger, when I saw myself in the mirror I got even more depressed and lost all my motivation. WATCH IT! It’s not about being naked in public LOL.
- Problem – SIMPLICITY. When you go to the gym try to take as less things as possible, I used to take a padlock, water, my phone, an ipod, a bag, towels, mi protein shake my wallet, a book and 40 different things. This just made me lose my focus and I always ended up losing stuff.
SOLUTION: Try to take as little as possible and leave everything in the locker.
Hopefully Alejandro’s tips will help you overcome your ‘gymtimidation’ so you can keep in tip-top shape!