Connect with us

Food

On The Hunt For Plantation Brownies

Published

on

Does the above wrapper look familiar? At my old job, we had a vending machine that sold these brownies for $0.25! The company I worked for subsidized the cost of the snacks, one of the perks of the job. During one late night at work, I bought 8 of ’em!

For some reason, I had a craving for these last week. Now, I’ve only ever seen these sold in vending machines, and I haven’t worked in an office in over 5 years. So started my search.

Here’s what I’ve found so far: Plantation Brownies were manufactured by President Baking, which was acquired by Keebler. Then Kellogg’s later bought out Keebler, and supposedly killed the Plantation Brownie.

Now, rumor has it that Mrs Freshley’s has come out with a Chocolate Fudge Brownie that’s supposed to be very similar to the old Plantation Brownie.

I haven’t been able to find anyone that sells them though, so now I’m on the hunt for that. (In the meantime, I tried Tastycake’s overpriced fudge brownie – Close, but no cigar)

If anyone has any info on this, please let me know. 😀

Continue Reading
164 Comments

164 Comments

1. Colin

December 24, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I would be willing to invest my life saving in a plantation brownie reprise. I miss them so much!!!

April 14, 2015 at 3:49 pm

WOW Colin. I am so sorry I did not see your comment before today. Your response is hysterical. I will share this one with my dad. I can only thank you a million times over for your kind words and support for our Plantation brownies. Thank you for being a loyal customer and for taking the time to research them. Be well…

Regards,

Steve K.

2. Amy

January 28, 2015 at 12:32 am

Hi Steve,

I have been craving the brownies all day today out of the blue. I actually couldn’t remember the exact name. I searched brownies, fudge brownies, England brownies, and pecan brownies with chocolate chips until I recognized the name Olde New England brownies. Bet I googled for over an hour! I had noticed I never could find these for a long time, but never realized until now that they are out of production. Please tell your dad how wonderfully delicious the brownies were and that I miss them greatly. I remember getting them from the convenience stores and vending machines in school and college. If you don’t get to ever put the recipe back in production, would you ever think of sharing it with the world? Thanks for putting a smile on my face and satisfying my chocolate cravings so many times. God bless you and yours.

April 14, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Amy your are the best! Thank you. I assume you read many of the earlier comments that were written with my responses. Unfortunately, production ceased years ago. Basically, Keebler and Kellogg destroyed it. It was such a wonderful and amazing company. My dad and uncle took such great care of all the employees. We had people who had worked with us for over 45 years! The product line we made was fantastic. Quality was the upmost important ingredient! I will be sure to share your comments with my dad. He always appreciates when I tell him people remember Plantation brownies! As for sharing the recipe, hmmmmm. Not sure I should. But you never know. Thank you again for such a beautiful comment and for taking the time to search Plantation. Be well and take care.

Regards,

Steve K.

3. Steve

February 1, 2015 at 2:18 am

WOW! Colin and Amy thank you so much for taking the time to look up Plantation and writing. Very much appreciated. I promise you that IF we were ever able to bring them back I will let you know. I only wish it was an easy task to do. I truly miss our family business each and every day. I resigned on October 7, 1994. I cannot believe I have been gone from there for over 20 years. Time truly flies… I will pass your sincere and kind words on to my dad. He will appreciate hearing them. Best to you. Regards, Steve

4. Mike

March 13, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Oh man, I too have been looking for these brownies for years. Used too be my lunch at work when I had no time. They were wonderful, so sad that there gone.

April 14, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Thanks Mike. I wish I was able to send you a case! They are gone, not a fault of ours. The bakery was my life and I miss it every day. I grew up working there and enjoyed the years I had there working with my dad and uncle. The best two men I ever met! Thank you so much for being a loyal customer and for missing our brownies. People like you made this whole journey great for my dad and uncle. I will be sure to pass your comment along to my dad. Best to you.

Regards,
      Steve K.

5. Cliff B.

April 17, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Steve K.,
    I used to survive on your dad’s brownies when I was in college (’91-’95). For some odd reason they didn’t give me the instant sugar rush and then crash. They were “solid” enough to last me for hours. I loved them so much. Since I moved from Texas to Maryland in 2004 I have searched high and low for them. I’ve google’d them many times and got bits and pieces of information. Did not truly know the history of the company until today when I ran across this conversation thread and read one of your comments from several years ago. So, so sad Keebler killed it; those brownies were awesome and I have yet to find anything close to their taste. My condolences on your uncle’s passing. He and your dad had an excellent product that is sorely missed.

Sincerely,
    Cliff

6. Ken

May 11, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I loved these brownies and I miss them so. I used to work in Washington, DC, and the hot dog truck in front of my building carried them. For years, I would get one every Friday as an end of the week treat. They were the best packaged brownies I ever had, by far. Then one day . . . he didn’t have them anymore. He said they were discontinued. A couple of months later I found some at a gas station convenience store and I bought the lot of them. I went through those soon enough, and I never saw them again. It is comforting to come here and see that I was not alone in my love of these brownies, and in remembering them after all these years. Brings back a lot of nostalgic memories. So thanks for posting this!

7. Steve

August 12, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write Cliff and Ken! Yep, they no longer exist. Plantation brownies were great and like I have written before, I miss them as well. They were truly Americana! If WE ever revive them I will promise to be the first person the post here! G-d bless and thank you for your interest and past support. So appreciated. I will share both of your posting with my father.

Best to you,

Steve

8. Ward

August 29, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Well the last comment is a year old, but Steve – I dont know how tough it would be to start producing again, but as a distributor of packaged bakery goods, I can tell you that Plantation Brownies were one of the very best selling items we ever carried. You could pick up today where you left off years ago.

October 24, 2016 at 1:29 am

Much appreciated Ward. I wish it was that easy and possible. I don’t think it will happen. Keebler/Kellogg owns the name rights. That would be the first stop. But to product again would so expensive. It is always a thought in the back of my mind. You never know! I will share your comment with my dad. I want to thank you very much for thinking and remembering Plantation Baking Company and our brownies. It is touching and I know my dad will be happy to read your note. God Bless. Regards,

Steve

9. Cathie Cabral

October 4, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I miss Plantation Brownies too! We used to get them with our school lunches. I would always trade for other brownies! Best brownies ever!!! Please bring them back!!!

October 24, 2016 at 1:31 am

Steve

Thank you as well Cathie! The fact that you took the time to look Plantation up is such an honor. I will share your comment with my dad as well. Regards,

Steve

10. Tom Schall

October 7, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Plantation brownies still get mentioned from time to time in this office located in Fort Wayne Indiana. We refer to the brownies as “C4” brownies because they were always in the same spot in the vending machine — item 4 in row C – always ! ! ! There is no existing brownie that comes close to being a substitute to the Plantation brownie.

October 24, 2016 at 1:35 am

WOW Tom!!! What company? I am sure I made a sales call on it back in the mid-1980’s. Ironically, I am now in healthcare. I am opening up a NEW Memory Care facility in Fort Wayne! It will be opening in the next couple of weeks. We are located on Diebold Road. It is called Lincolnshire Place.

You comment is so much appreciated. Like all the comments I will share with my dad. If we EVER bring them back I will contact you. Regards,

Steve

11. Elle Stork

March 30, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Plantation Brownies were the best!!! The go-to snack throughout my childhood. I always find myself searching for them and now I know they are no longer :(. The perfect consistency with that fudgy frosting layer! I would buy a case right now if I could. Thanks for all those years of yummy goodness. No other brownie has ever come close!

November 1, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Ty ty Elle. Much appreciated. I will share with my dad.

12. Steve

April 30, 2017 at 12:12 am

Too kind Elle! Thank you. I will share with my dad tomorrow. We have a family brunch for his 88th birthday! He will appreciate your comment. G-d Bless! Regards,

Steve

13. David

May 12, 2017 at 10:38 pm

We love those browines, used to buy them at Sam’s club been looking for them for years.wish I had one they are good!

November 1, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Thank you David. Comment is much appreciated. So nice to hear that people still remember them. God Bless.

Steve

14. Eric

May 24, 2017 at 7:44 pm

These were awesome, they tasted real. Also Old New England with the little walnuts on top if I remember right. I used to buy the whenever I saw them cuz the quality stood out next to everything else in the gas station/corner store. The salt/sweet balance was perfect.

November 1, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Ty Eric. Olde New England was an amazing brownie. I use to sell and work in production and always loved those. Pecans not walnuts though. Close enough. So nice of you to write. God bless. I will let my dad know what you wrote.

15. Steven

June 18, 2017 at 2:19 pm

My wife and I were wondering where could find those delicious brownies.Saddened to here they are no longer made.Tell your dad thank-you and I have never found any that tasted as good as those.

November 1, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Ty. I love to share all the comments with my dad. Unfortunately my uncle, his partner died several years ago. But the two of them were an amazing duo. Thank so much. Bets fo you.

16. Crystal

August 14, 2017 at 10:47 am

I am so sad that they are no longer made. As a child my father bought me one every Saturday for years. My father passed away last august and those brownies are one of my favorite memories I had with my dad.

November 1, 2017 at 9:48 pm

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad Crystal. But so happy that you shared Greta times and have the memories. The fact that Plantation brownies were part of those memories is amazing. I wish I had brownies to send to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God bless. Steve

17. Paul

September 5, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Best brownies ever!I wish my kids had a chance to try them! They will only be able to hear how good they was from me.

November 1, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Thank you Paul. They were amazing. So glad you had the chance to enjoy. I too wish they were still around. I miss our family business very much. God bless. Steve

18. Stephanie

September 27, 2017 at 12:31 pm

OMG…..NOOOOOO I used to buy these ALL the time. Has it really been 20 years?? I just thought of these and decided to go find a place that sells them. These were the BEST brownies. I had such and addition to them. I always bought them in a package of 8. Have never been able to find anything even close to it since. 🙁 PLEASE PLEASE bring them back :'(

November 1, 2017 at 9:52 pm

I wish I cold bring them back Stephanie. Boy do I! Pack of 8 must have been out large multipack 3” x 1.625” each. Thank you for being a loyal customer and fan for so many years. Take care and God bless. Steve

19. Evis

October 24, 2017 at 9:54 am

I used to buy these at my school’s vending machines when I was little. (Mind you, I’m 40) and one year, a state over, and in the most random place, I saw them in a vending machine at a sink/faucet warehouse. I bought a few and thought they must be out on the market again.. a year later, at Costco, I saw them! They were sold in a pack of 12 , I believe, and was really inexpensive. I was buying chocolates for my family in Hong Kong and thought ok great, Costco is now selling them, I’ll be back for them and only purchased one. When I came back, they we’re gone! This was before 2010. I tell my kids about Plantation Brownies all the time.. would love to see them back on the market!

November 1, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Wow Elvis. Great story there. Thank you for being so loyal and supportive. I wish I could bring them back. Talked a lot about it. Wish we never sold the company. They ruined it! Destroyed it. So sad after all my dad and uncle out into it. They started in baking back in 1947 just after WW2. They were in retail baking. The rest is truly history and American! God bless you. Ty again. Steve

20. Cathie Cabral

November 1, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Can’t you re-start the company? Please?????

December 3, 2017 at 2:28 am

I only wish. Ty.

21. Jason

November 23, 2017 at 8:14 pm

The Plantation peanut butter brownies from back in the 90’s were the best . Certainly miss those things

December 3, 2017 at 2:30 am

Ty Jason. They were good so I was told. I don’t like peanut butter but so many people did! I never like making them on my shift because I would spell of peanut butter. Best to you.

22. Troy S.

November 29, 2017 at 9:42 am

Steve please tell your pops what a great piece of Americana he produced and by far the best brownie I’ve ever had. Miss them so much.In fact as I was typing this I showed 3 people from work a picture of the brownie and they all exclaimed how much they used to enjoy them!

December 3, 2017 at 2:33 am

Thanks so much Troy. I will tell him and shared your comment with him. Your kindness and support is beyond. Best to you. Steve

23. Troy S.

November 29, 2017 at 10:15 am

These look very similar..I wonder how they taste. https://www.amazon.com/PEGGY-LAWTON-FUDGE-BROWNIES-PACK/dp/B004WP04YG

24. Steve

December 3, 2017 at 2:34 am

Lol. Those brownies were around for a bit. They are actually very small if I recall. Like 2”x2”. Very dry.

25. Brian M

February 2, 2018 at 12:15 am

Steve, Like all the comments before, I also had a craving and searched high and low for a picture of the packaging because I didn’t remember the name. Soooooo sad that we will never taste these again. My favorite memory of my Grandpa was that he would take my little sister and I to the corner store and tell us we could pick any treat we wanted. We always got your Dad’s brownies. He always asked…are you sure you don’t want a chocolate bar? And he would tell us to grab another because they were such a deal.
    I was trying to find a box of them for my sister’s 49th birthday coming up. She’s just gonna have to settle for a Shawn Cassidy poster…because nothing else tastes as good.
    Too bad Keebler was only interested in eliminating competition.

26. Steve

March 18, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Hey Brian. Of course a brownie over a chocolate bar, lol. Such a great story. I will share with my dad. I will be visiting him soon in CA. Best to you and thanks so much for loving our brownies and writing. G-d Bless. Steve

27. Aarati Martino

May 26, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Steve, thanks to your family for these brownies. My husband was on the hunt for a substitute just today and tried the Tastykakes. He said they are not the same and he misses yours.

I wish we could pull a Twinkie and get these back on the shelves…

Anyway have a great day and thanks for the tasty memories. 🙂

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.

Food

How To Cook The Perfect Lobster At Home And Impress Your Date

Published

on

Grilled Lobster Tail

Nothing is more impressive than a man who knows his way around a kitchen – except one who also dishes out lobster as the meal of choice. That guy is a beast.. and the best part is that guy can be you.

Lobster tends to make people crabby in the kitchen, but it doesn’t have to be that way. These simple steps can help you cook the perfect carapace, and impress any girl you’re cooking for.

House Rules

First and foremost, if this is your first date, don’t have her over to your place yet.

She’s still getting to know you — take her out a few times before you actually have her over for dinner. You don’t want to be creepy. So unless she’s one of those girls that thought Hannibal was hot, eat at a restaurant first.

If you’re past date three, you’re in the clear. Here’s how to create an awesome lobster dinner.

Tails Never Fails

If you’re new to the kitchen or the critter, stick to tails. They’re tasty, prepared in a pinch and you don’t have to commit a crustacean killing in front of your date.

If you want to be really impressive, get your lobsters directly from Maine. Maine lobsters have a whiter, sweeter meat that is more tender than those found in warm water.

A great way to prepare lobster tails is by baking them.

With a cook time of around 15 to 20 minutes and less mess to clean up, you’ll have more time to talk and enjoy each other’s company. That’s better than trying to figure out how to get the rubber band off the claws without losing a finger.

All you need is a baking sheet, some butter, lemons and an oven. Make sure that if the tails were frozen, you give them 8 to 10 hours to thaw in the fridge before you cook them.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Take some kitchen scissors, dig the point of the blade into the shell and cut down the back without cutting the tail fin at the end.

Pull the meat out of the cut you’ve just made, and lay it onto the back of the shell. It’s kind of like a Viking blood-eagle, only the lobster already went to Valhalla.

Put your tails on the baking sheet, brush some melted butter onto the meat, bake for about 15 minutes and make sure the internal temperature reaches 140°F to 145°F.

Be sure not to overcook it. It will be tough and chewy — no one wants lobster bubble gum for dinner.

The lobster should be a creamy-white color, with no translucent meat. Be sure if you’re not eating it immediately, you put it in ice water so it stops cooking.

Congrats! You’re a Chef!

OK, you may not be Guy Fieri, but you did just create an excellent meal with a great date. While there may be a lot of fish in the sea, you’re the only one that took a lobster out of it and baked it for her.

Continue Reading

Food

Entenmann’s Is Giving Away Free Donuts For A Year Plus $5,000

Published

on

Entenmann's Chief Donut Officer contest

Talk about a dream job! Entenmann’s Bakery is searching for the country’s biggest donut lover to be their first-ever “Chief Donut Officer”. And while this is just an honorary title, it comes with some pretty sweet perks, including a year’s supply of donuts, a bunch of Entenmann’s branded gear, along with $5,000 in cold hard cash.

Want to get in on the action? Then head over to www.chiefdonutofficer.com and share your love for Entenmann’s donuts, where you like to eat them, how you’d improve on Entenmann’s varieties, what new flavors you’d develop, and how you’d spread the word about the treats.

Responses will be judged based on passion, creativity and originality, with 5 finalists selected to submit video testimonials about why they deserve to be named Chief Donut Officer.

The contest kicks off just in time for National Donut Day (June 1) and runs through the end of the month. So what do you say? Do you think you’ve got what it takes to become Entenmann’s first-ever Chief Donut Officer? Then enter now for your chance to win!

Good luck!

Continue Reading

Food

Starbucks Just Took Two Of Their Classic Frappuccinos And Made Them Way Better

Published

on

Starbucks Introduces Two New Frappuccinos

Get excited people, because Starbucks just took two of your favorite Frappuccino varieties and took them to the next level, with “extra texture, beautiful layers, and tons of flavor!”

The Ultra Caramel Frappuccino and Triple Mocha Frappuccino are essentially upgrades to Starbucks’ classic Caramel Frappuccino and Mocha Frappuccino, hence the addition of the “Ultra” and “Triple” monikers.

The Ultra Caramel Frappuccino is made by layering dark caramel sauce and whipped cream in a dark caramel-flavored coffee Frappuccino. The Triple Mocha Frappuccino sports ribbons of dark mocha sauce and whipped cream layered into a mocha-flavored Frappuccino.

Both of the Frappuccinos feature Starbucks’ all-new sweet cold brew whipped cream, infused with cold brew, dark caramel sauce and white chocolate mocha sauce. The new delicious cold brew whipped cream topping can also be added to any Starbucks beverage for 50 cents.

“Right away, you taste something different with the sweet cold brew whipped cream. Sip after sip, you get the blended coffee and the lighter whip with the dark caramel threaded all the way through,” Debbie Antonio, senior manager for Starbucks R&D, said in a press release.

Sounds pretty good, don’t you think? The new Frappuccinos are now available for purchase at Starbucks, so give ’em a try and let us know what you think!

Continue Reading