Sixteen spirited but unsung heroes of college football are basking in the limelight as Capital One Financial Corp. announced the members of the 10th annual Capital One All-America Mascot Team. The 16 mascots, representing nine conferences and including several natural gridiron rivalries, will go head-to-head throughout the college football season in a battle royale determined exclusively by fan voting.
When the dust – and fur – settles, one lucky creature will be named the Capital One National Mascot of the Year at the 2012 Capital One Bowl!
Members of the 2011 Capital One All-America Mascot Team, as nominated by their schools and selected by a panel of judges from Capital One and the mascot community, are detailed below:
- Wilbur T. Wildcat of the University of Arizona: “Behind every great Wildcat, there’s a great female cat.”
- Sparty of Michigan State University: “All great warriors must first overcome a great obstacle. Sparty’s was Moussaka.”
- Aubie of Auburn University: “An emotional journey down memory lane shows Aubie’s softer side.”
- Mike the Tiger of Louisiana State University: “Who is Mike the Tiger? This conspiracy theory might just shock you.”
- Testudo of the University of Maryland: “When you’re a 6 foot tall turtle, life in the pond isn’t easy. But ask Testudo and he’ll say that it prepared him for greatness.”
- Wolfie Jr. of the University of Nevada: “Follow Wolfie on a spiritual journey as he goes from mascot tragedy to triumph.”
- Hairy Dawg of the University of Georgia: “Hairy Dawg’s intimidating scowl wasn’t always an asset. Just don’t tell that to the Bulldog faithful on Saturdays.”
- Boomer of the University of Oklahoma: “When you lead your team to 7 national championships, celebrity finds you.”
- Brutus Buckeye of The Ohio State University: “In the world of an oversized nut, it’s either get cracked or get cracking.”
- Big Blue of Old Dominion University: “Big Blue has learned from the highs and lows of being the Capital One National Mascot of the Year, and he’s ready to repeat.”
- The Duck of the University of Oregon: “To migrate or celebrate? That is the dilemma the Oregon Duck faces every year. But which family will he choose?”
- Benny Beaver of Oregon State University: “History wasn’t always kind to Benny’s kind. But what didn’t kill him made him stronger.”
- Buzz of Georgia Tech: “Buzz is not your average yellow jacket. But what made him different also made him great.”
- SuperFrog of TCU: “Where did the Superfrog come from? Sorry, that’s classified.”
- Cy of Iowa State: “Some birds are born to fly. Others to hunt. Iowa State’s Cy was born to dance.”
- Big Red of Western Kentucky University: “After a long season of TDs and Ws, all Big Red wants to do is fall in love.”
My money’s on Sparty!