For this year’s New Year’s Eve dinner, each of our friends decided to bring something different to our dinner. So I decided that I would try something different, something unique. It came to me while watching Season 2 of FX’s series Justified. During the season, the main antagonists created their own popular moonshine that tasted just like Apple Pie. Though I didn’t exactly make the alcohol, I felt like I brought a piece of Kentucky home.
It’s a pretty simple recipe, and I thought I would share with you all. But a word of warning, this stuff isn’t for the weak! It contains a great deal of alcohol, but it’s perfect to warm your stomach on a cold winter night.
What You Need:
- 1 750ml bottle of Everclear (I used the 190 proof, but since it’s illegal in some states, you might have to buy the Everclear 151)
- 1 gallon of apple cider
- 1/2 gallon of apple juice
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 6-8 cinnamon sticks
- 6 apples
- Enough mason jars to fill about 2 gallons
- First get a large stockpot big enough to put 2 gallons worth in. Then pour all of the apple juice and apple cider in the pot and put it on medium/hot heat.
- Wait until it is warm (not boiling) then put both sugars and the cinnamon sticks in the pot.
- Continue to stir and let the mixture boil down where all of the sugars dissolve. Once boiled turn the gas off.
- Let the mixture sit until it cools.
- Once the mixture is cool then add the Everclear and mix it.
- Open up the mason jars put one or two apples in each jar and pour your Apple Pie Moonshine into your jars. Feel free to put a cinnamon stick in some of the jars.
- Drink up!
Now you can drink this immediately, but it will definitely taste better if you wait about a month. You can drink it whenever you want, but the alcohol will ferment over time and it will make the drink much stronger.
Tweet me your Apple Pie Moonshine pics on Twitter @CoreyPanati. If you did anything different to change the flavor, let me know so I can try that next time.