Ken Block debuted his Gymkhana SEVEN car for the first time publicly in the Ford booth today at SEMA 2014. The car? A completely unique, one-off, world’s first performance all-wheel drive 1965 Ford Mustang notchback that he calls the Hoonicorn RTR.
A collaborative effort between Block, Hoonigan and RTR—fellow Ford and Monster Energy athlete Vaughn Gittin Jr’s automotive tuning brand—the car shares the spotlight with Block in his upcoming Gymkhana SEVEN video project.
Built at ASD Motorsports in Charlotte, North Carolina, over the course of two years, the car is based upon a 1965 Ford Mustang notchback—the iconic pony car, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. The car was heavily modified by RTR and ASD Motorsports to feature a 410 cubic inch Roush Yates V8, with 845 hp, mated to a one-off Sadev all-wheel drive system. The styling for the build harnesses a mix of influences and inspirations that include the current crop of WRC cars, DTM cars and even toy cars from Block’s youth. These elements were harnessed through a collaborative effort between Block and RTR—since RTR is known for their Mustang expertise—and incorporated into the build.
“I’m stoked to be able to publicly unveil this car for the first time at SEMA in the Ford booth,” said Block. “This is a project that I’ve been working on for two years, so to see it fully come to fruition and be able to drive it for Gymkhana SEVEN was absolutely amazing. I also knew that working with Vaughn [Gittin Jr.] and his RTR team was the right choice for this project since Mustang’s are their world, but they really went above and beyond on this car. The attention to detail with the fabrication and bodywork blows my mind. This is hands-down the best Gymkhana car I’ve had yet.”
HOONICORN RTR SPECIFICATIONS:
- MOTOR: Roush Yates 410 cubic inch Ford V8, 845 hp/720 lb.ft with ITBs
- TRANSMISSION: 6-speed Sadev SC90-24 all-wheel drive transmission with a hydraulic handbrake system
- SUSPENSION: Custom ASD Motorsports-designed geometry and components
- BODY: 1965 widebody Ford Mustang designed by RTR, Ken Block and Hoonigan, ASD Motorsports full tubular chassis, ASD Motorsports custom roll-cage, door bars and front/rear suspension mounts, RTR carbon fiber body panels
- WHEELS: fifteen52 three-piece R40, 18” x10.5”
- TIRES: Pirelli Trofeo R, 295/30/18, custom Ken Block compound
To see Block’s Gymkhana SEVEN Mustang in person, swing by the Ford booth on the SEMA show floor, the car will be on display to the public for the entirety of the show.