Every man deserves a space of his own. Somewhere to relax, watch sports and unnecessarily violent films, or somewhere to host a boys night. Thankfully there is a solution…
Man Caves, the last bastion of masculinity! You’re probably thinking to yourself “I want a Man Cave… I’m going to make one right now! It’s going to be awesome!” But before you start gutting out the spare room, there’s one huge obstacle you must overcome… Your wife!
Yes, the elusive wife has been a thorn in the side of man kind for as long as we can remember. Every substantial/expensive decision must get her seal of approval, and usually you have to drown them in lavish and expensive gifts to even get them to consider your awesome Man Cave proposal. It takes weeks of careful planning before you spring the question on them, but here are 3 ways to convince your wife to let you build a man cave.
Buy her show tickets:
Let’s start with the obvious one here, show tickets. Girls freaking love shows, they love the singing, dancing, love stories and probably the bulging men in tights. Although tickets can be expensive it’s important to see them as an investment, you are trying to sweeten her up before you spring the Man Cave question on her, remember?
You may be thinking to yourself “I really don’t want to sit through hours of torture”, but guess what, you don’t have to. Buy two tickets and tell her to take a female friend of hers, and you could even really push the boat out and offer to put them up in a hotel so you can get a full night of Man Cave construction.
Some shows that chicks can’t get enough of are:
- Mamma Mia
- The Lion King
- Jersey Boys
Any of the above will go down a treat!
Highlight the mutual benefits:
If you want to keep the costs down, you could try a structured argument by highlighting how a Man Cave will benefit her:
- The house wont get messed up when you have the boys round – This is a great one to open with and there are no counter arguments.
- Somewhere for you to go when she has a girl night – Women also like their nights in with friends, and if you have a Man Cave you can happily keep out of their hair all evening
- No sports memorabilla/manly gadgets in the house – Having a Man Cave gives you somewhere to hang all your manly decor which women are usually apprehensive about. Let her know that you will happily move them from inside to house into your manly retreat.
- Increase your work from home productivity – This might not be true, but tell her having a quiet space will allow you to work from home much more efficiently, meaning you are more likely to get a pay rise and bring home more money. Chicks love money.
If all else fails you have a secret weapon to fall back on, expensive gifts. Sometimes no matter what you do or however well you execute the question, they just wont budge. Therefore it’s time to splash the cash and buy them a decent gift, but always make sure you keep the receipt. If she agrees to let you make a Man Cave but when it comes to construction she has cold feet, threaten to take the gift back and she will come back around.
Some great gifts women love are:
- Cars (depending how badly you want this Man Cave!)
- Handbag dog
- Experience days (wine tasting, chocolate making, hot air balloon ride)
- Weekends away
- Subscription to her fav magazine
So that concludes our guide to winning over your woman’s seal of approval. Remember, it takes weeks of planning and must be approached very delicately. It may be tough at times but keep thinking of the ultimate end goal, your epic Man Cave.
Have any tips for sweetening a woman up? Get involved in the comments below.
This post was written by Mark of EpicManCave, the definitive Man Cave resource site, featuring guides, tips and galleries on all things manly.