There’s no denying that we live in a very stressful time at the moment. Between juggling your family life and work commitments, there is a lot to handle. This is why it is important to make a dedicated effort to lower stress levels. Low-impact workouts can help you do this. Below, we will explain the benefits of this in further detail to give you a better understanding.
What are the benefits of exercise?
There are many different benefits that are associated with exercising. Of course, the obvious advantage is that you will be able to lower/maintain your weight and lead a healthier lifestyle. However, the benefits go a lot further than this. With that being said, let’s take a look at them in further detail:
- Help keep your judgment, learning, and thinking skills as sharp as possible
- Improve your mood and mental health
- Exercise can help in terms of quitting smoking
- Help to manage your insulin and blood sugar levels
- Lower your risk of heart disease
- Control your weight
- Increase your chances of living a long life
- Improve your sexual health
- Enhance the quality of your sleep
- Lower your risk of falls
- Reduce your risk of cancer
- Strengthen your muscles and bones
As you can see, there are many different benefits that are associated with exercising. However, it can be hard to exercise regularly and to stay on track. Motivation levels can be difficult to find, especially if you do not see the results you had hoped for right away.
Spend some time doing your research so that you can put together the perfect workout plan. You should not be afraid to try something new, such as a dance class or going for a boot camp weekend. You should also learn about different ways to get more results from your workouts. For example, guides like this one on what you need to know about whey protein isolate vs. concentrate is a great place to begin. Once you start seeing results, you will be motivated to keep going and attaining your goals. It has a snowball effect.
How does exercise reduce stress?
As we have discussed above, there are many different benefits that are associated with exercising. One of the key benefits associated with exercising is that it can help to reduce your stress levels. There are a number of different ways that working out can help your mental health, so let’s take a look at this:
- Reduce the negative impact that stress can have on you – There is only one place to begin, and this is with the fact that exercise can help to relieve your body of stress while also reducing the impact that stress has, for instance, your fight or flight response, as well as helping your body and its system to work together effectively.
- Exercising is meditation in motion – Next, when you have had a good exercise session, it can help you to forget about all of the things that have frustrated you throughout the day. Exercise can also help in terms of relieving any tension that you may have been experiencing.
- Working out will enhance your mood – Exercising on a regular basis can also be helpful in terms of reducing symptoms of depression and mild anxiety, as well as increasing your self-confidence, boosting your mood, and helping you to unwind and relax. Working out regularly can also help you to improve your sleep as well. A lot of people who have disrupted sleep tend to experience this because of stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Exercise can help you to pump up your endorphins – Working out can also be advantageous with regards to boosting your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters, which are known as endorphins. Although this tends to be known as a runner’s high, this feeling can be created no matter what sort of exercise you are enjoying. It does not need to be running!
Some of the best low-impact cardio workouts to try so you can lower stress
There are a lot of different types of low-impact cardio workouts that you may want to consider so that you can exercise without putting too much stress on your body. Some examples include walking, cycling, swimming, rowing, and yoga.
How are exercise and depression linked?
There have been a number of different studies that have shown that exercise can aid with depression. When you are depressed, though, you can feel very low in terms of energy, and this can stop you from being more active. Exercising on a regular basis can help to increase your mood if you have depression, and it is particularly useful for someone who has mild to moderate depression.
You may be wondering how often you should exercise per week in order to feel the benefits of it. To stay healthy, it is recommended that every adult should do around two and a half hours of exercise per week. So, if you can schedule 30 minutes of exercise five days per week, this can really help you to clear your mind and feel happier.
We know that it can be difficult to start exercising again once you have fallen off track and you are feeling down. It is a bit of a vicious cycle. However, as soon as you break this and start exercising again, you will feel a lot better about it.
How to avoid injury while working out
One thing you do need to be mindful of when working out more often is injuries. When someone suffers from an injury, it can prevent them from achieving their goals. It can cause them to become even more depressed and stressed, as they now feel anxious about the injury they have. This is why it is important for you to take the steps to reduce your chance of avoiding injury.
So, what sort of things can you do to avoid injury while you work out?
- Make sure you warm up and cool down effectively. The importance of this is stressed a lot, but it is something that a lot of people do not take seriously enough. If you do not ease your muscles into exercise, you can end up causing damage to them.
- Listen to your body. If your body is tired and needs a rest, give it a rest.
- Switch up your workout routines. If you put too much strain on a certain part of your body, it can end up causing injury and damage.
- Learn good form. Learning good form is also important in terms of avoiding injury. If you adopt the wrong posture when you are doing a certain exercise, you could end up damaging one of your muscles or bones.
- Finally, you need to make sure you use the right equipment to reduce your chances of experiencing any sort of injury.
Final words on how to reduce depression with exercise
As you can see, there are a lot of different benefits associated with exercise, and exercising is certainly a good way for you to reduce those stress levels so you can lead a happier and more relaxed life. Considering the fact that most of us lead a very stressed and strained life today, it is important to do everything in your power to keep those stress levels low.
We hope that the tips and advice that we have provided you with above will help you to do this effectively. And, if you do fall off track and you miss a week or so of exercise, don’t punish yourself. Rather than looking back, go forward and find a way to get back on track.