Harley-Davidson added performance and factory-custom style to its 2022 motorcycle line with the reveal of eight new models, each powered by the Milwaukee-Eight 117, the most-powerful factory-installed engine offered by Harley-Davidson. New models include the Street Glide ST and Road Glide ST in the Grand American Touring line, the more powerful Low Rider S & new Low Rider ST Cruiser models, along with four super-premium models from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO).
The Milwaukee-Eight 117 V-Twin engine offers the most displacement and torque available from a factory-installed, regular-production Harley-Davidson powertrain, producing up to 127 lb-ft of torque at 3750 RPM, which power riders can feel on the street with every twist of the throttle. It features a high-performance camshaft, a high-flow intake, and high-performance exhaust tuned to maximize engine performance while maintaining 50-state compliance and producing a stirring tone.
The “Further. Faster.” world premiere webcast introduced the world to HD’s latest offerings, from their new performance-focused additions to their cruiser and touring bikes, to the dialed-up premium details in their latest CVO family, and the latest accessories, apparel and events in great detail. It was a really great presentation, and I highly encourage you to take the time and check it out in its entirety above.
“As part of our focus on stronghold segments, including Grand American Touring and Cruisier, the 2022 product line is designed for power and performance. Each of these new models feature the unrivalled power of the Milwaukee-Eight 117, for those riders who want nothing but the biggest and the best, building on our position as the most desirable motorcycle brand in the world,” said Jochen Zeitz, Chairman, President and CEO, Harley-Davidson.
Street Glide ST and Road Glide ST
Harley-Davidson elevates bagger performance and brings the purposeful style of the winning MotoAmerica King of the Baggers race bikes to the street with the introduction of the Street Glide ST and Road Glide ST models. These hot rod baggers combine the V-Twin muscle of the Milwaukee-Eight 117 powertrain with new dark and bronze finishes.
For riders who want to strafe corners in comfort, the STs feature the complete suite of Harley-Davidson Grand American Touring features including Reflex linked Brembo brakes with ABS, Boom! Box GTS infotainment system with color touch screen and navigation, cruise control and Daymaker LED headlamps. The Street Glide ST features the iconic HD batwing fairing, while the Road Glide ST rolls with an aerodynamic frame-mounted sharknose fairing with dual headlamps. Both are pretty sweet looking to me.
So why the growth in demand for baggers with better performance and handling? Harley’s PR manager Paul James explains: “It’s a generational shift. These customers have a different mindset, many of them coming off sportbikes. They’re aggressive riders. They want a bagger but they’re performance-minded and they’re riding baggers in that way.”
Low Rider S and Low Rider ST
The Low Rider S and new Low Rider ST models offer the taut handling performance of the Harley-Davidson Softail chassis and the V-Twin muscle of a Milwaukee-Eight 117 powertrain.
“Our customers truly inspire us and the Low Rider ST was born from seeing the incredible builds at motorcycle shows around the world,” said Brad Richards, Harley-Davidson Vice President of Design. “We took the iconic Motor Company design from the Eighties and gave it a new identity with a modern echo. Add the Milwaukee-Eight 117 engine, a taller suspension and raised saddlebags and the Low Rider ST delivers both a dynamic visual package as well as a dramatic performance punch.”
Harley-Davidson’s Low Rider S model is a performance cruiser kingpin designed for the riders seeking unapologetic power. The new Low Rider ST model offers the versatility of hard bags and a new frame-mounted fairing, plus an available Harley-Davidson Audio system powered by Rockford Fosgate.
Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)
Premium limited-production factory custom models from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) offer the most-discerning rider a bespoke motorcycle designed to represent the pinnacle of style and design from the world’s most-desirable motorcycle brand. Exclusive and hand-crafted paint and designs are executed to a level of intricate quality unmatched in the motorcycle and automotive categories.
Each bike is powered by a Milwaukee-Eight 117 powertrain. Other standard features include a premium Harley-Davidson Audio powered by Rockford Fosgate system, a Boom! Audio 30K Bluetooth Helmet Headset, and Cornering Rider Safety Enhancements by Harley-Davidson, technology designed to enhance rider confidence during unexpected situations or poor road conditions. Each CVO model offers all-new paint options for 2022.
- CVO Street Glide Model is a super-premium bagger for the rider who rolls loud and proud. The classic silhouette of the batwing fairing topped with jaw-dropping paint and finish details, premium audio and the pavement-peeling power of the Milwaukee-Eight 117 engine make this one outrageous bike.
- CVO Road Glide Model is designed for the rider who wants to run out front behind its distinctive dual LED headlamps, frame-mounted shark nose fairing and the unrelenting performance of the Milwaukee-Eight 117 powertrain. Powerhouse audio, an exclusive 21-inch front wheel, fabulous custom paint and extraordinary attention to detail complete this very desirable bike.
- CVO Road Glide Limited Model is loaded with luxury and long-haul comfort, head-turning style and power that always satisfies. Premium audio, heated seats and grips, and the aerodynamic Road Glide model shark nose fairing make this motorcycle the ultimate Harley-Davison Touring machine.
- CVO Tri Glide Model is a super-premium trike offering distinctive style, powerful performance and long-haul touring capability plus the added confidence of a third wheel. The CVO Tri Glide is loaded with premium audio, luxurious comfort features and an astounding finish and attention to detail, on a chassis designed from the wheels up as a trike.
Cornering Rider Safety Enhancements by Harley-Davidson
Standard on CVO models and an option for all Grand American Touring models, including the Street Glide ST and Road Glide ST models, Cornering Rider Safety Enhancements by Harley-Davidson is a collection of technologies designed to assist the rider in maintaining the rider’s intended path through a curve. This technology package provides the following enhancements:
- Cornering Electronically Linked Brakes
- Cornering-Traction Control with modes
- Drag Torque Slip Control
- Vehicle Hold Control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS)
All in all, I thought Harley-Davidson knocked it out of the park, and I can’t wait to see these new bikes in the flesh. Be sure to leave a comment below and tell us what you think of them!