There’s no doubt about it, the Casio Edifice EQB-500 is a great looking watch. But would it surprise you to find out that it’s not just an ordinary chronograph watch but that it’s actually a “smart” watch?
Now I don’t know about you, but the reason I never bought a smartwatch is because I hate the way they look. Sure, the Apple Watch might be able to send text messages by voice or let you read e-mails without pulling out your phone, but the flip side is that you’re walking around with a giant square on your wrist and no matter how you try and dress it up, it’s just not a good look.
The Casio Edifice EQB-500 takes the opposite approach, delivering a stunning analog watch with bold styling that anyone would be more than happy to wear, with a handful of smart features thrown in for good measure:
- Mobile Link Function: The watch can connect to an iPhone or Android phone via Bluetooth. Download the Casio WATCH+ app (iOS / Android) and manage your watch from the app.
- Find My Phone: Misplaced your phone? Phone finder causes your phone to emit a tone when a watch button is pressed.
- Dual Dial World Time: The watch shows the time in your current time zone (and automatically adjusts the time when you’re traveling), while a second, smaller dial can be set to one of approximately 300 cities around the globe.
- Setting Time & Date: Use the WATCH+ app to set the date and time from your smartphone, or set it the old-fashioned way.
- E-mail: Use your watch to check for new e-mail. (Requires registration of mail account with the app.)
- Tough Solar (solar powered) technology keeps your watch charged up by light.
Additional feature include 100 meters water resistance, vibration resistance, an alarm clock and a stopwatch.
Personally, I love the Casio Edifice EQB-500, and I think they’ve found a great way to introduce some “smart” elements without ruining the purity of the watch itself. But power users looking for more functionality (reading e-mails, sending text messages, using apps, etc) should keep looking, as that’s not what this watch is about.
The verdict? The Edifice EQB-500D combines the feel of a classic timepiece with some handy smartwatch features and it does it in style.